Morrison 45, Dutton 40

Scott Morrison is Australia’s sixth prime minister in eleven years, having prevailed in the second round of the party room vote by 45 votes to 40. Julie Bishop was eliminated after the first round: there are reports the vote was Dutton 38, Morrison 36 and Bishop 11. Josh Frydenberg replaces Julie Bishop after nearly eleven years as deputy, having won 46 votes against 20 for Steve Ciobo and 16 for Greg Hunt. Over to you.

848 comments on “Morrison 45, Dutton 40”

1 15 16 17
  1. No honeymoon. Unless you do as we say:

Speaking to Fairfax Media, 2GB morning host Ray Hadley made clear that conservative supporters expected Mr Morrison to behave differently under the new order, calling for a return to the ScoMo of years gone by.

2. From Sean Kelly ..
    “If Peter Dutton had won today, then Turnbull’s role in history would have been clear, the unwitting handmaiden to the rise of the right. With political death in sight, Turnbull seized the opportunity to shape his own story. If only he had done it earlier.”

3. I note Morrison has two kids. Not because he has two kids (thats perfectly normal), but because most of the clappers around here have a lot more. Veritable baby making machines.

I suspect it is a deliberate long game to outnumber us heathens.

4. nath. Less is more.
    ________________
    fair enough Simon but if I am going to be attacked by a pack of septuagenarians the least they can do is attack me for what i actually said. 🙂

5. Did anyone (else) speculate on either of the following had the spud been crowned (a King Edward?):

a) would he use his authority to *successfully* parachute into a safe seat?

b) what a train-wreck of a leaders’ debate he’d give?

6. C@tmomma @ #751 Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 9:56 pm

No honeymoon. Unless you do as we say:

Do as we (hadley) says?

Great, turnbull v2.0

7. Sceptic, he used the word ‘traditional’ I think in his presser. It seems to me Malcolm refused to do anything out of the box. Even when it must have seemed inevitable after Tuesdays remarkably close Spill 1.0, he didnt go to the GG and call an election. He didnt really do anything rash, or brave. But perhaps the bravest thing was to finish how he led – flowing along, rolling with it. In the end, he finally realised he was out of place, a round peg in a freak show.

8. Who’s a septuagenarian?

It doesn’t pay to be presumptuous.
    ——————————–
    Dave and another bloke. I forget his name. He’s forgettable.

9. Pegasus says:
    Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:07 pm

nath,

So you don’t think me rude, I politely decline satisfying your curiosity about me.
    _________________________________
    Fair enough Pegasus. You will remain a woman of much mystery to me. 🙂

10. It was reported that after a 14-year struggle to conceive a child through IVF, SM’s wife, Jenny, finally fell pregnant naturally when Morrison was beginning his political career.

11. Simon² Katich® @ #768 Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 10:07 pm

These are silly comments.

Simply put – turnbull ran out of rope.

The pr&^ck wasn’t *brave* he had been snookered – and that started when he lost so many seats in 2016 .

He was an arsehole from start to finish and will be a bigger one out of politics.

FMD.

12. It was reported that after a 14-year struggle to conceive a child through IVF, SM’s wife, Jenny, finally fell pregnant naturally when Morrison was beginning his political career.

Yeah, I didnt want to pry into that. 14 years – sheesh. Took us a little while – but months, not years. A trip to a remote part of Indonesia sorted that out.

13. Conservative media commentators who aggressively backed Peter Dutton in the Liberal leadership challenge have put Scott Morrison on notice, indicating that there will be no honeymoon period for the incoming prime minister.

Who do these idiots think they are? They’ve never sought election to anything, never been accountble in any way for their stupidities. They should be ignored. They are empty drains.

14. He couldn’t go to the GG and get away with it. Antony Green has laid the detail of that out.

That came later. Straight after the ballot he clearly had the power to do it and the GG would have accepted.
    I didnt say he was brave. I said the bravest thing he did was to not embarrass himself by doing anything desperate. That hardly amounts to bravery. But does show some mettle.

And I certainly didnt say he wasnt an arsehole. Any reading of my posts over time would show that clear as the sunshine coming out of your silly arse.
    😛

15. What I hate most about the welfare card is that there is an intention to slowly make it universal. Its all about punishing the undeserving.

This is what the Morrison’s of this world do, They love it and we are shit and Cash goes Boonta she’s so aroused by making the poor, poorer.

16. briefly @ #776 Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 10:26 pm

It all demonstrates nothing has changed after the tories knifed and torn one of their own – a Prime Minister – to boot.

Now having failed – they resolve to continue to use extra democratic means to get their own way

17. Simon² Katich® @ #777 Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 10:30 pm

Really shutting the Parliament down is something to praise ?

Well I’m saying he is an arsehole . Plus I’d never defend him for that very reason.

18. Boomy1, what is your solution to the problem of DV, neglect, health issues due to spending their money on drugs, alcohol and gambling?

Remember, recipients that don’t spend their welfare on these items don’t have to do anything different.

Also, in many places their are restrictions like bottle shops opening at 2:00pm and customers are limited to the amount of alcohol they can buy per day. They must also present their drivers licences so that they cannot buy more alcohol at another outlet.

19. Simon² Katich® (Block)
    Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 10:30 pm

No. Nonsense yet again

It needed the recommendation of the Executive Council to the GG, plus approval of the States if a half Senate Election was called.

In effect the tories would have been warned and knackered him.

They still did knacker him. As he had coming to him.

20. dave says:
    Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:33 pm
    briefly @ #776 Friday, August 24th, 2018 – 10:26 pm

The system is dysfunctional in many ways. They are a part of the dysfunction. The only good thing is their reach is diminishing, bit by bit.

21. Something has to be done, and I see the basics card as one solution to alcohol/drug and gambling abuse.

We could all leave. That might help.

22. After the Liberals self destruction this week the only real mystery should be who will be the Liberal Party opposition leader after Shorten crushes Morrison at the next election.

The right of the party will try again and probably will succeed this time, but Dutton is highly likely to lose his seat.

23. Turnbull wouldn’t give a rats about who does what now, he is out of there. HE gets to be the sniper on the sidelines and can take aim at whoever he wants…al la what Abbott did to him. I hope he stays until an election is called and snipes and snipes and snipes……lol

24. If I ever see Flint in a shopping centre or something I plan on making this point to her as loudly as possible.

While it is not known how Ms Flint voted in the second spill, her name did appear among the 43 MPs who signed a petition bringing on the vote.”

25. If Turnbull bails the chance of instability rises as long as Parliament is sitting. It’s really a matter of timing. If he goes when the Parliament is in recess a vacancy and by election will not be a big deal.

26. [“A senior Liberal source this week warned that Boothby MP Nicolle Flint’s support for Dutton was a vote to lose her marginal seat.

Ms Flint remained tight lipped on Friday, saying she will “never reveal how I voted” but said Mr Morrison would “unite” the party.]

If they know where the food is they are just like other dogs.

27. sonar: He wouldn’t need to stay in parliament to do that, an ex-PM has pretty good access to the media if they want to roll up and let off a few rounds.

28. No. Nonsense yet again

I read Green’s article. And I just read it again. I stand by my post that straight after the spill Turnbull clearly had the power to go the the GG and ask for an election and the GG would have acquiesced.

On Tuesday this week the Prime Minister defeated a vote of no confidence in the House of Representatives, which confirms his role as chief adviser to the Governor-General. But the office of the Governor-General monitors the media. Were the Prime Minister to call an election to avoid being deposed by his party, the Governor-General WOULD BE BOUND to follow that advice, but would be aware of what was occurring. The early election request MIGHT be delayed by obfuscation and prevarication from Yarralumla

(my caps)
    Firstly, straight after Turnbull won the spill, why would the GG assume Turnbull was doing it to avoid being deposed? He just won the ballot. Turnbull would have explained that an election was needed for the good of the country (wink).

Even if the GG did sense the PM would be rolled so soon after the ballet (we all thought he was terminal…. but so soon?), considering the uncertainty, the 1 seat majority, Duttons (and others) question of eligibility, the possibility Turnbull would quit and a by-election…. I doubt the GG would have obfuscated.

Yes, it would have been a rash and desperate thing to do. And it would have left the Liberal Party in a real tizz. But the notion is no more nonsensical than anything else that has happened this week.

29. Scott Morrison has had his first official photo released of him hard at work uniting the country……..

[url=https://imgur.com/hPHkmyr][img][/img][/url]

30. HE gets to be the sniper on the sidelines and can take aim at whoever he wants…al la what Abbott did to him.

There is a difference. Turnbull has a life to go back to. Abbott? Not so much.

31. It’s been a fun day, enjoyment tinged with a little relief given what the outcome could have been.

But when I go to bed tonight I will sleep soundly. I have no fear of my door being kicked in at 3am and goons or militia invading my home, or a stray shell demolishing same. My family will be still there to hug and cherish tomorrow, as happy and healthy as ever, not missing or kidnapped. Out and about tomorrow there will be no checkpoints to negotiate, walls blocking my way or neighbourhoods I dare not stray into. The local stadium will not be converted into a holding pen for opponents facing imprisonment or worse. And next week I can confidently enter my place of employment, knowing that no silent listeners or watchers have been monitoring my behaviour and determined that I must be replaced.

Just another day in the Lucky Country tomorrow – boy am I grateful.

32. All this rallying around Morrison is sickening. He barely scraped in on a 45-40 vote. The party is deeply divided and riven basically straight down the middle. They should stop trying to pretend otherwise. The conservative faction, especially.

33. @SK….I think Turnbull will want revenge on those who tore him down. He seems a vindictive sort of a person. He will want payback…….against Abbott and Dutton in particular, but especially Abbott.

1 15 16 17